Best eco-friendly products: toiletries

medium_3797738938

In the five years or so I’ve been chasing a more natural lifestyle, I have tried a lot of different products. When it comes washing my teeth, hair, bod and babies, I’d say I’ve tried just about all the eco-friendly products there are at the affordable end of the spectrum. I don’t want to spend megabucks on my toiletries, but I also don’t want them causing blue-green algae blooms and putting my family at risk of health problems. Too much to ask?

These days I reckon I’ve sussed out the best eco-friendly products for the bathroom, so I thought I’d share my favourite shampoo and conditioner, natural toothpaste, body wash and baby stuff. I think I’ve also finally found a natural deodorant that actually works, but we’re still in the testing phase, so watch this space. ecostore shampoo

Ecostore Shampoo & Conditioner
My one vanity is my hair (not that you’d know because I usually stick it up in a ponytail). It’s ridiculously thick and so far bears no grey. It tends towards dry, but is generally very healthy. Most of the cheaper (I’m talking less than $15 a bottle) shampoos and conditioners leave it lank and greasy, meaning I have to wash it every day. Poo to that. I’m loving ecostore’s plant-based shampoo and conditioner, which is free from phthalates, parabens, silicon, SLS and petrochemicals, and does a smashing job. I can go three days between hairwashing, and only needed to use a small amount. The conditioner contains almond oil and does a great job of untangling my birds nest. Visit the ecostore website here.

Grants of Australia toothpaste
grants tothpasteOh man I have tried some weird and wonderful natural toothpastes. One made me cough, one tasted like pina colada and another was like having your mouth washed out by soap. Thankfully, I found Grants of Australia Extra Fresh toothpaste, which is minty and comes out of a tube as a white paste – in other words, it is like using the toothpaste I grew up on. This is major because after valiantly putting up with the weird and wonderfuls, my hubby finally asked in a pitiful voice if we could please just use a normal toothpaste! Grants has four varieties of toothpaste, all with no flouride, parabens or SLS. Find out more here.

Picture 25

Simplyclean body wash
I discovered this range in my local organics store, it’s fairly new and I’m pretty excited about it. SO far I’ve only tried the Lemon Myrtle Body Wash and I love it, the tangy smell of lemon myrtle is very invigorating, it suds up well and is ph-balanced so my skin feels clean but not squeaky. Septic-system safe, this product contains no SLS, SLES, PEG, parabens, petrochemicals, mineral oils or DEAs. You can buy it online here.

Natural Instinct Baby shampoo, conditioner & baby wash
NI_BabyBathWash_250
Last but definitely not least, an old favourite with a new look. I’ve used most of the Natural Instincts range and always found them to be reliable, quality products. Again, these are all plant-derived and omit all of the nasties mentioned in this post.

I know packaging shouldn’t matter, but I am really pleased Natural Instinct has got itself a new look – you may have seen the old white bottles on the shelf and thought they were a bit budget (and they certainly are, but only in price). The new packaging is more in line with the oils and natural ingredients contained within. My kids aren’t fond of having their hair washed, but the Natural Instinct formulation is very gentle, and they smell so lovely afterwards that it’s worth getting soaked to get them clean! Check out the new look Natural Instinct here.

There you have it, the best eco-friendly products for the bathroom according to moi. If you have a recommendation, I’d love to hear it!

photo credit: Miss Molly G. Willikers via photopin cc

Comments

1. Claire says

I wash my hair using baking soda (to clean) and apple cider vinegar (to condition). I only need to do it once a week, and it leaves no sticky or greasy residue (which is something I always notice whenever I use shampoo these days).

I keep a jug by the bath and mix a 1/2 cup of baking soda with 2 cups of water. I give it a stir then pour the mixture over my hair, leaving it for 2-3 minutes. I then rinse it out and mix a dash of apple cider vinegar with two cups water, pour over my hair and rinse. You can add essential oils to the baking soda mix, a few drops of rosemary oil is good for people who suffer from dandruff.

This wash is especially good for people who use hair styling products.

The baking soda also makes a great exfoliator (mix a teaspoon with a few drops of water until it forms a paste, add some coconut oil for extra soft skin), and I also use it to scrub the bath and shower clean.

Thanks for this, Claire, I am definitely going to give this a bash. I assumed my husband would have completely FREAKED out if one day all the product disappeared and there was a jar of baking soda and a jug, but he has expressed some interest in the idea. Hooray, progress!! I happen to know that your hair is particularly fabulous, so I hold this tip from you in high regard :) x
      Would also like to add that your hairwash method probably keeps your drains nice and clear too, preventing the need for Draino…

2. Abbie says

I second the baking soda/ACV method as mentioned, only I use a bit more ACV in my water (I have the same hair, thick, slightly dry, long, healthy) and after using other organic ones that left me with dreds (I’ve never had knotty hair in my life and I was getting dredlocks!) the Baking Soda/ACV method is fantastic. Hair smells a little ACV still when wet, but once dry it’s fine. Make sure you use a handtowel/flannel/facewasher over your eyes when pouring the mix over your head (both mixes) they’re diluted but still unpleasant if they get in your eyes (as is normal shampoo/cond but they’re usually thicker so easier to avoid the delicate spots) and take care if water runs over face and you manage to avoid eyes – accidentally breathing some of the ACV mix in – you feel that one, let me tell you!!)

Great tip about avoiding the eyes and not breathing in the vinegar. I would definitely have learned the hard way!

3. Eliza says

I use Moo Goo shampoo and conditioner, but want to try the methods above. I LOVE Moo Goo products for everything.

I have recently discovered Jack n’ Jill for baby toothbrushes and toothpaste and think they’re pretty good. Their toothbrushes are biodegradable and recyclable. You can put them in the compost!
    Eliza recently posted..Links we’ve loved.My Profile

Love, Jack & Jill, the toothbrushes are so cute. My toothpaste doesn’t contain flouride so I use that for the kids. Actually, my three-year-old tells me he wants to use my toothpaste… I didn’t know Moo Goo had haircare, I’ll look out for it as I love their other products.

That’s great, Katy. I was terrified of changing to eco shampoo, personal care products are definitely something you want to try before you buy. I’ve spent loads on some pretty crappy products!

4. Mother Down Under says

I love Natural Instincts too…I use their shampoo and foaming face wash and both are great.
    I like Miessence deodorant…it gets the job done and I like the roll on better than some of the all natural spray options.
    Sukin Organic Rose Hip Oil is my number one favourite product…it is so nourishing and luxurious.
    Mother Down Under recently posted..Sunday Styles: Denim TuxedoMy Profile

5. Jude says

Thanks you so much. My family is just starting on this journey to reduce chemicals we use in and around our home and I’ve been searching for recommendations of products to replace what we have when it runs out. Off to get the kids some natural instinct.

pleasure, I hope you enjoy using it. There are stacks of great brands out there, so try them all. Moo Goo is another favourite of mine.

6. Jude says

Wow….labels are so confusing when reading them….do you or any if your followers have any opinions on the sukin brand. It has been recommended to me and the label looks ok.. No SLS, SLES, no synthetic fragrance, no propylene glycol, no artificial colours, no triethanolamine or mineral oils, no EDTA or parabens…..sounds good but I must admit makes minimal sense to me and I’d probably have to google over half the ingredients, so thought I’d ask your advice as a short cut.