Waste Deep: the movie

waste deep

Today I’m sharing with you a lovely short doco about waste. It’s been produced by not -for-profit organisation, The Sustainable Table, and it features the Who’s Who of the sustainability movement here in Australia.

Sarah Wilson, Tim Silverwood from Take3 and Costa all pop up talking about food and packaging waste and what we can do to minimise our share. It’s all very friendly, though. Don’t expect to cop a bollocksing over your wasteful habits!

Some of you may find this video downright annoying, especially if you live somewhere where farmers’ markets are non-existent and the only fresh food comes hermetically sealed in the skin of ancient dinosaurs.

But I urge you to take the message as it is offered: a bit of inspiration, wrapped up with some information and overlayed with a whimsical soundtrack. It’s  nice world that we can all strive for, even if it seems a bit far-fetched… for now.

WASTE DEEP from SustainTable on Vimeo.

Let me know what you think!

10 Responses to Waste Deep: the movie
  1. Nell
    March 26, 2014 | 4:29 pm

Thanks for sharing this one…Always nice to have little reminders of where we should place value
    Nell recently posted..A day in the life of an unofficial doulaMy Profile

• (dt)em
      April 3, 2014 | 8:57 pm

Indeed, Nell!

2. […] when I watched Waste Deep I was reminded again that many people are still unsure about the hierarchy of the three R’s […]

3. Romi
    March 27, 2014 | 6:28 am

Watched it last night, thanks for sharing! Although it does make me feel sad that so many people just don’t get it? I really feel like I’m on an alter universe and on my own little crusade sometimes. It’s so nice to see there are others out there!

I love your website by the way, thanks!

• (dt)em
      April 3, 2014 | 8:56 pm

I hear you about the parallel universe… it can be dispiriting at times, but remember that every time you use a reusable bag, someone in the queue behind you thinks “that’s a good idea” x

4. Amanda
    March 27, 2014 | 10:29 am

Was great how it dealt with food waste, but I found it a bit odd that there was a huge focus on plastic waste, yet Sarah Wilson packages all of her vegetables in how many PLASTIC zip lock bags????

• (dt)em
      April 3, 2014 | 8:55 pm

Yeah, a bit of a fail there… I know from reading her blog that she reuses them until they fall apart, but still, she could probably invest in some glass containers.

5. Jan (A gluttonous wife)
    March 31, 2014 | 5:59 am

Thanks for sharing Jo, I’ve linked your post into my blog post for today.
    Shame Sarah Wilson was using those big ziplock bags!! ;)
    Jan x
    Jan (A gluttonous wife) recently posted..Lushious leftovers lamb pieMy Profile

• (dt)em
      April 3, 2014 | 8:38 pm

Thanks Jan, sorry I haven’t visited in a while, I’m off to drool over your pie :)
      And yeah, the ziplock bags was a bit of a fail!!

6. Penny
    April 5, 2014 | 8:54 am

Gosh this is so overwhelming. I want to do soooo much but it can really consume me. I know you hated to read that BUT despite the feelings I just got, I will be acting on this. I’m going to the farmer’s market tomorrow with my reuseable bags. Perhaps I can make my shopping day Sundays now!
    Penny recently posted..Painting Patterns using NatureMy Profile